Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Therapy

Steven hasn't been to PT in a few weeks so when we showed up today, his therapists were floored with his progress. He hasn't touched his crutches for a few weeks now and gets stronger every day. They are talking about having him come in monthly rather than weekly, so life will be a little more simple that way. Of course, there are still many questions, this procedure is so rare and unique to each person that getting just the right alignment of his prosthetic is a tricky thing.

I have some catching up to do, like promised pictures of the leg, etc, but I am on my ipad tonight and too lazy for that. I did want to share a conversation I had with Andrew as I was tucking him into bed. He decided to come along to physical therapy today (he loves the basketball hoop and gym at Shriners and is always hoping I will let him play the ipad). As we arrived, Steven's therapists were finishing up with a girl who was trying to walk with the aide of a walker and almost a full body brace. I am no expert, but she may have had some sort of muscular dystrophie. At bedtime Andrew asked me if I saw her and then said, "You know, Steven doesn't have it all that bad. I mean, he doesn't even need crutches anymore. He could walk around through his whole feildtrip today!". I am not sure why this struck me so hard. I am constantly humbled and amazed by the kids I see and meet at Shriners, but maybe I have grown accustomed to them or I have been focusing too much on our problems. His little observation helped me see that things really aren't that bad at all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've kept this blog Sonja. I've learned so much and gained much need perspective by reading it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete